Sunday, May 31, 2015

After bronze in 2013, Babanto shoots for gold

IN HER first assignment at the Southeast Asian (SEA) Games two years ago, then 16-year-old Rinna Babanto brought home a bronze for the country.
photo (c) Matt Wong
Now, with more experience, Babanto has only one thing on her mind going into her second stint at the SEA Games on June 12 to 14 in Singapore and that is to give the country a gold medal.
“I learned the importance of the team because my event (in 2013) was a team event. You also need to sacrifice and have patience with the team. This time I’m more determined because I’m competing in a double event and I want to improve more and win gold medals this time around,” Babanto told Sun.Star Cebu.
Babanto is the only jin from the talent-rich Cebu City taekwondo scene chosen to represent flag and country in the biennial sports meet of Southeast Asian countries.
“I’m so grateful that they have chosen me again to represent the country in another big tournament like the SEA Games. I’ll do my very best to win the gold this time,” she said.
Babanto is joined by Irene Bermejo, Juvenile Crisostomo, Pauline Lopez, Jocel Ninobla and Jade Zafra. She will be competing in individual and team events of poomsae.
Babanto, along with Rani Ortega and Janice Lagman, finished third and brought home a bronze medal in the Women’s Poomsae Team event of the SEA Games in 2013.
Source: Edri Aznar of Sun.Star Cebu